Monday, January 18, 2010

Exercise...When, Where and How with a TOT!

Hey Moms...wishing you didn't eat one of your tot's fish sticks...or that darn cookie. Ugh...birthday parties and their stinkin' cupcakes. Why does the apple sit there untouched for a week but the oreos go sleeve by sleeve?!?

Well, do not fear moms. Number one, we are chasing tots all day and/or all night and that's a huge change from the days and nights of sitting on our rears watching MTV and Grey's Anatomy. BUT if you are anything like me you crave exercise. A release, relaxation, sweat, feeling strong, feeling healthy, daydreaming, doing something for you! Is this self-centered? No. Does this put your responsibility to your tot second? No. The question is when, where and how with a tot!?!

Setting your alarm for a pre-sunrise workout ended when sleep was no longer at your leisure, skipping playgroups and playdates does seem downright selfish, naptime equals silence while cleaning and once your tot is in bed you want to spend quality time with your hubby or companion. So when!?!

I will tell you...the when, where and how...DVD workouts at home with your tot! If you snickered at this idea like 'yeah right!' just give me three more sentences to explain. :) Your tot likes music, your tot likes movement, your tot likes emulating you. Perfect! They will get hooked on it just like you. And if all else fails, plan your in-home workout around snack time. They will enjoy watching you...heck, they might even laugh! Exposing your tot to fitness is a huge bonus. He/she will develop a positive attitude towards being fit and healthy because you showed them it's fun and important for as long as they can remember.


Now...which home workout video is actually worth it. I have tried hundreds over the years! I mean it. Hundreds. Personally, I think it is a waste of time to participate in a workout that is, excuse my french, utter crap. So take my word for it when I suggest Turbo Jam. If you do or have ever belonged to the YMCA you may have heard of an aerobics class called Turbo Kick. This is the EXACT same exercise routine now in your house!!! With your tot! Chalene Johnson created this combo of kickboxing, cardio and dance. She not only has her DVD collection but also teaches fitness instructors around the country how to teach it in clubs. This is legit! When people ask me how I lost my last 10 baby weight pounds...I say 'Turbo Jam'!

The DVD set includes 5 workouts and 2lbs hand weights. There is a 20 minute workout that will give you a burn! Perfect for those time crunch days. I do the workouts with Brayden. There is nothing cuter than when he tries to do a speedbag or simply dances in circles. And every time I kick I say "Bam" or "Boom" and he giggles. Note: It is necessary to pay close attention to where your tot is so you don't accidentally knock him/her over BUT I have decided this uses even more muscular energy and control. Meaning...more banished calories. :)

For more details on Turbo Jam go to www.beachbody.com, scroll down and click on 'Turbo Jam.' And enjoy...with your tot.

If there are days when a DVD is too structured for your tot time and he/she is clinging to your leg begging for snuggles then try this. Learn 5 exercises...yoga, pilates, kickboxing, whatever you like. In between the 5 exercises do 8 power squats...every time. Repeat this series 3 times. Exercising this way will allow you to pay more attention to your tot while you sneak in a good workout. You can take breaks and come back to it where you left off. Trust me. It will work...I do it.

There are many other options available to you to enjoy exercise with your tot. My personal favorite is running with Brayden in the stroller but on icy days...forget about it. So I regularly mix up all the types of tot-friendly workouts and neither of us miss out or get bored. Over the next couple of months I will preview Stroller Strides, gyms with playrooms, dance/yoga studios with playrooms and mom & me classes.

Give it a shot! You can squeeze exercise into everyday. Your tot will have a blast too.

BRAYDEN's Pick: Time alone with Daddy!

Mingling Topic:
3 Time Golden Globe Winner - MAD MEN

Rent it! This 1960s drama about advertising executives and the women in their lives is mind boggling, entertaining and somewhat shocking! It is hard to believe just 50 years ago women put men 100% before themselves. I am not saying it isn't admirable...I am saying I am not that selfless! At all. I like seeing how much everything has changed since the 1960s...office life, men, women, children, acceptable behavior, ideals, morals, norms. It is crazy! Check it out. Instantly, you will have 5 issues to discuss.

FREE, FREE, FREE!!!! The Museum of Science and Industry is offering free admission Monday - Friday for the rest of the month (last day is January 29th)! Check it out and do not forget about the Kid's Idea Playground. :)

Happy 1st Birthday to Callan on January 22nd!!!!

K&B

No comments:

Post a Comment